There are several easy things you can do yourself to help prevent or control varicose veins or help relieve the discomfort from those you already have:
- Exercise regularly, particularly those exercises that work on your legs such as walking and running.
- Avoid prolong standing or sitting at work. If you have to stand for long periods of time, shift your weight from one leg to the other every few minutes. If you have to sit for long periods of time, stand up and walk around every 30 minutes.
- Wear graduated compression stockings regularly. These should be custom fit to your legs.
- Maintain a proper weight to avoid placing too much pressure on your legs.
- Elevate your legs (above the level of your heart) when lying down or resting.
- Avoid wearing high heel shoes on a regular basis and always crossing your legs while sitting.